Elementary Teacher Certification
Begin your rewarding career as an elementary teacher. The application for the 24-25 school year will open in August of 2023. If you’re already working in a school, check out our District Referral Program.
Become A Certified Elementary Teacher
- TExES test preparation
- curriculum and instruction aligned to the Texas Teacher Standards
- current instructional practices for elementary educators
Our Elementary Certification Program is appropriately rigorous in preparing you for the reality of teaching. Participants develop reflective habits to refine their practice beyond their first year of teaching. It is our honor to be a part of the beginning of a teacher’s career and walk beside you on your certification journey.
Elementary Certification Options
The Core Subjects EC-6 certification area will allow a participant to teach English language arts and reading (ELAR), math, science, social studies, music, art, health and physical education in Early Childhood (EC) through Grade 6.
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Supplemental exam will be added to this certification area to help participants learn the foundations of ESL education, cultural awareness, family and community involvement, language concepts, language acquisition, and ESL instructional strategies to use in a diverse classroom with English learners.
Bilingual Core Subjects
The Bilingual Core Subjects certification area will allow a participant to teach English language arts and reading (ELAR), and Spanish language arts and reading (SLAR), math, science, social studies, music, art, health and physical education in Early Childhood (EC) through Grade 6, in an English/Spanish bilingual environment. Participants must demonstrate a near-native proficiency level in speaking, reading, writing, and listening in Spanish to qualify.
The Dual Certification allows a participant to become certified in bilingual core subjects EC-6 and special education EC-12.
Candidates must have a degree earned from and conferred by an accredited institution of higher education.
Min 2.5 Grade Point Average
Minimum 2.5 GPA on all coursework or 2.75 in the last 60 semester hours of completed coursework.
Official College Transcripts
Request your official transcripts be sent to the ECP office.
Content Area Proficiency
Candidates must meet the content area proficiency requirements specific to their program.
Complete our online application with all required documents.
Our certification program curriculum is aligned with Texas Education Agency standards and educational best practices. All curriculum is taught by certified staff and content area experts.
About 2/3 of our classes are face-to-face and 1/3 of our classes are online. Participants employed by schools within the Region 13 service area, as well as those from schools within a 100-mile radius of Austin, attend classes at the Education Service Center Region 13 in Austin.
Participants will be required to attend training that will continue to build on instruction learned during pre-service training.
- delivering engaging instruction
- developing and using student assessments
- understanding student diversity and instructional differentiation
- preparing for formal classroom observations
- preparing for TExES PPR exam
- preparing for TExES content exams
- the science of teaching reading
- facilitating guided reading, writing and math
- integrating science and social studies content into lesson planning
- managing stations in the elementary classroom
- training specific to Early Childhood (Pre-K), Primary (1st – 2nd), Intermediate (3rd – 6th)
- overview and integrations of read aloud and balanced literacy
- incorporating the effective use of current technology in instruction
- evaluating students’ technologically produced products and projects
- utilizing technology applications in problem-solving situations and project-based learning activities
- using developmentally appropriate instructional practices, activities, and materials to integrate the Technology Applications TEKS into the curriculum
- managing technology platforms to increase communication with student families on academic and behavior progress