Future teachers will complete the application process. Upon acceptance, participants will begin pre-service training to help prepare them for the classroom during their internship year. After successful completion of program requirements, state requirements and their internship year, participants will earn a standard teaching certificate in their certification area.
Choose Your Program
Our five distinct programs accommodate different subject areas, grade levels, schedules, and requirements. Your decision on which certification area to pursue determines the program you should enroll in and the certification tests you must take. Explore our programs to see which is the best fit for you, check the application deadlines and minimum qualifications required.
Complete the Online Application
- A valid email address.
- Social Security Number or Resident Alien number (this will serve as your application reference number)
- Education history including institutions attended, and dates.
- Employment history including the supervisor’s name and contact information and dates of employment.
- Visa, Master Card, or check routing information for $100 application fee.
- Please see additional certification program requirements
Three Professional References
Official College Transcripts
Submit Official College Transcripts from ALL colleges. Official transcripts must be received in an unopened envelope sealed by the college or university. If the university or college uses an electronic transcript system such as Transcripts Network or eSCRIP-SAFE, this would be acceptable. The university must send an email with login or download instructions for the transcript to the ECP Registrar at email@example.com. If your degree is from a foreign institution there will be additional transcript requirements.
Per TAC 227.1.(b) Educator preparation programs should inform all applicants that: (1) Pursuant to the Texas Education Code (TEC), § 22.083, all candidates must undergo a criminal history background check prior to employment as an educator. If you feel this is a concern and you have questions about eligibility for a Texas educator certificate, TEA staff may perform an evaluation for a non-refundable fee of $50.
All Content Accelerated (ACA) Program – Applicants for the ACA Program MUST submit evidence of a passing score on the Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) for their certification area to complete application requirements.
For 17-Month Programs and CTE, if Required –If your GPA is lower than 2.5 on all coursework, or lower than 2.75 on last 60 semester hours of coursework, applicants must provide a passing TExES Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) score.
We occasionally accept interns with less than 24 hours in their content area but there must be an overriding factor (such as previous experience working with students) for this to be allowed. If an applicant does not have the required coursework hours, they may submit a passing PACT score in their certification area in lieu of transcript hours.
Optional Test Scores
Submit documentation scores from; ACT, SAT, GRE, TASP/THEA, Compass or Accuplacer.
Send ALL documents to: Educator Certification Program Assistant Certification Department, Education Service Center Region 13, 5701 Springdale Road, Austin, TX 78723
All participants will be required to attend pre-service training prior to their internship year. Our certification program curriculum is aligned with Texas Education Agency standards and educational best practices. All curriculum is taught by certified staff and content area experts. Training Topics include:
- preparing for first days/weeks of school
- establishing a positive and productive classroom environment
- managing student/classroom procedures and behaviors
- planning and creating developmentally appropriate instruction (curriculum and lesson plans)
- using a variety of instructional strategies to increase engagement, rigor, and relevance
- developing and using student assessments
- content specific topics
- professional responsibilities of a teacher
Our program curriculum also embeds technology from day one to ensure that future teachers are able to integrate technology effectively into their own classroom. Training Topics include:
- demonstrating knowledge of basic terms and concepts of current technology
- understanding and applying the guidelines for the legal and ethical use of technology and digital information
- using productivity tools to communicate information in various formats
- participating in electronic communities as a learner, initiator, and contributor; sharing information through online communication
Our future teachers receive full benefits and full-time salary with an employing school district as they go through their internship year. During this time Region 13 will provide support systems through a cohort model, coaching, and mentoring. Participants will be required to attend training that will continue to build on instruction learned during pre-service training. About 2/3 of our classes are face-to-face and 1/3 of our classes are online, see your certification program’s specific schedule for dates.
Upon successful completion of the certification program requirements, internship year, and state required tests participants will be a fully certified teacher in Texas!