Become A Certified Teacher
CTE educators are vital to preparing students for college and career. In the CTE educator certification cohort, we aim to help educators integrate their expertise into the secondary classroom using evidence-based teaching practices. Teachers within our program will receive a blended model of online and teacher-directed classes as well as continuous support in and out of the classroom.
Our Career and Technical Education Program (CTE) is an accelerated 12-month program designed to provide a pathway to teacher certification for professionals who already have education, work experience, and/or industry licensure/certification in a content area.
- Austin and Surrounding area
- Teacher-interns employed by schools within the Region 13 service area, as well as those from schools within a 100-mile radius of Austin
- Teacher-interns employed by schools within a defined area surrounding each of the distance learning sites.
- Cities and their surrounding areas include: Abilene, Amarillo, Beaumont, Del Rio, Denton, El Paso, Huntsville, Houston, Lubbock, Midland, Pittsburg, San Angelo, San Antonio, Killeen
CTE Certification Areas and Requirements
Trade & Industrial Education
This certification area is for future teachers who have previous industry work experience and certification/licensure that aligns with their work experience. There are numerous work approval areas that would qualify a participant based on their industry experience.
This certification area is for future teachers who have previous industry work experience as a healthcare practitioner that utilizes a current medical certification/licensure.
This certification area is for future teachers who have previous industry work experience in the marketing field overseeing or developing a marketing campaign throughout the entire lifespan of a product, service or idea.
All Other CTE Certification Areas
These certification areas require a bachelor’s degree and passing a content exam. These areas include Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, Family Consumer Sciences, Business & Finance, Technology Application, Technology Education and, Math/Physical Science/Engineering.
Our certification program curriculum is aligned with Texas Education Agency standards and educational best practices. All curriculum is taught by certified staff and content area experts.
About 2/3 of our classes are face-to-face and 1/3 of our classes are online, see your certification programs specific schedule for dates. (link) Participants employed by schools within the Region 13 service area, as well as those from schools within a 100-mile radius of Austin, attend classes at the Education Service Center Region 13 in Austin, while those employed by schools within a defined area surrounding each of the distance learning sites attend classes via video teleconference at the site designated for that area.
Participants will be required to attend training that will continue to build on instruction learned during pre-service training.
- delivering engaging instruction
- developing and using student assessments
- understanding student diversity and instructional differentiation
- preparing for formal classroom observations
- preparing for TExES PPR exam
- integrating the core principles from The Fundamental Five
- establishing/revitalizing CTE student organizations
- increasing awareness and knowledge of CTE issues and initiatives
- integrating CTE into campus/district
- marketing CTE courses/programs
- developing partnerships and collaboration in CTE programs
- exploring strategies to implement and manage work-based learning
- incorporating the effective use of current technology in instruction
- evaluating students’ technologically produced products and projects
- utilizing technology applications in problem-solving situations and project-based learning activities
- using developmentally appropriate instructional practices, activities, and materials to integrate the Technology Applications TEKS into the curriculum
- managing technology platforms to increase communication with student families on academic and behavior progress